Tynie reach the semi as Villa are brushed aside


Tynecastle FC secured a place in the semi-finals of the South East regional cup with a 2-0 victory over Longniddry Villa.

First half goals from Matthew Dillon and Andrew Mackay earned the home side a deserved victory in a match where the visitors rarely threatened.

The tie started at a frantic pace with both sides exchanging chances early on and perhaps Longniddry could have taken the lead on a couple of occasions.

First, Alex Williamson shot wide from inside the box and then Tynecastle keeper Kyle Wilson saved well to deny Ellis Grieve.

After surviving those early scares Tynecastle began to take charge and Longniddry keeper Cameron Sandilands kept his side in the game when he denied Dillon after the striker was through on goal.

But there was nothing Sandilands could do when in the 25th minute Dillon opened the scoring. A ball from the left side played in Dillon but this time he took his chance, calmly firing a first time right foot shot into the bottom left corner.

Shortly afterwards, and just before half time in the 36th minute, Tynecastle doubled their lead. After a well worked counter attack resulted in a corner, Craig Turnbull’s accurate ball in from the left was met by a rising Andrew Mackay whose powerful header was too strong for the defender on the line to keep out.

Longniddry could have got back in the game in the dying seconds of the first half. Strikers Jack Branley and Williamson broke through and found themselves in a two-on-one situation. However, Branley’s ball to Williamson was played only moments too late and he was ruled offside when he only had the keeper to beat.

The second half was relatively quiet in comparison to the often pulsating first period. Tynecastle remained solid and continued to be the most threatening – especially down the right side.

Dillon had Tynecastle’s best chance to put the game beyond doubt but his glancing header from Alistair Maclachlan’s whipped cross flashed past the post.

With time running out, Longniddry increased the pressure on the Tynecastle goal through a series of corners and free kicks, but the golden opportunity they were hoping for did not fall their way. Although they did have the ball in the net when Sam Taylor finished well after being slipped in by Grieve, but the substitute was ruled to have been offside when the ball was played.

In fact, Tynecastle’s Kyle Wilson was only troubled when he had to save a low shot from Longniddry’s Jack McAlpine after good work from full back Kieron Douglas.

In the end Tynecastle held on to secure a comfortable win and a place in the semi-finals. They will face Edina Hibs who defeated Edinburgh City 4-2.


Original Report: http://www.youthfootballscotland.co.uk/south-east-region/item/18725-tynie-reach-the-semi-as-villa-are-brushed-aside.html



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s